Steve McDonald
PC Specification: AMD quadcore--Nvidia 8500 GT--Vista HP

Re: Splash Lite 1.3

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:08 am

I especially appreciate the bit-rate information addition to 1.3 . It is very useful in seeing how the VBR formats are encoding the video. I was surprised to see that a 1080p (1440 X 1080) AVC clip, with a base bit-rate of 12 Mbps, was ranging from 11.6 Mbps to 15.2 Mbps. I'm hoping to see the capability to display 1280 X 720 video in a screen window of that size.

Splash Lite 1.3 is playing back rapid motion on all the supported formats I use, in a completely smooth manner now. I'm realizing more than ever, how important it is for the encoding format and the computer capabilities to be adequately supported by a decoder/player. Many of the misguided criticisms of certain cameras and video formats have had their origins in the poorly-performing decoder/players that were being used. It appears to me that Splash Lite 1.3 is giving a sharper look and better color to my MOV videos from a Canon SX1, at 42.5 Mbps, as well as from my Sony HX1 with AVC at 12 Mbps. Everyone on the Sony Talk Forum on DPreview who has tried Splash Lite 1.3, likes it very much and we all appreciate your contribution. You must be working very hard to get Splash Pro just right, before it is finally released.

m4cios
PC Specification: 2x2ghz t4200, gf9600m gs, win7hp 32bit

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:08 am

First of all im new here (my first post) and im looking forward to see pro release in action.

i have a suggestion ... it would be nice to have this option in next release ... im talking about built-in shutdown, hibernate after playlist finish and shutdown timer. im using those options all the time in mpc-hc couse i like to see some movies before falling asleep.

EDIT:
and question ... is there any possibility to be involved in some kind of beta tests?

BDX
PC Specification: SU7300, GMA 4500MHD, Windows 7 x64

Tue May 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Is this project dead already? First PRO version was promised to be released in March, then new version of Lite was promised month ago. Dissappointing. :(

limsgp
PC Specification: Win XP

Wed May 05, 2010 12:36 am

Can the player play file in actual size?

Sometimes, the media resolution (1920x1080) is bigger than the display (1280x800) and the video cannot play in actual resolution. There should be an option to play "actual size" even thou part of the picture maybe cropped, but seems that there is no such option on the player?

Steve McDonald
PC Specification: AMD quadcore--Nvidia 8500 GT--Vista HP

Wed May 05, 2010 3:23 am

In reply to the two previous posts, let me first say that I recall last year at this time, Mirillis was projecting that Splash Pro would be released in August and then that date was moved forward several times. Judging by the high quality of Splash Lite, I can imagine that they're working out any bugs before they start selling it. Many companies make their early customers pay for the privilege of being beta-testers, but Mirillis is giving frequent updates of the free beta versions and waiting until they have the best and most refined program, before they charge money for it. Rather than require customers to install frequent updates and bug-fixes, they are trying to develop the first Pro version to avoid as much of this as possible.

I also have proposed that various sizes of screen windows be part of the Splash display. It would be better to show 1280 X 720 in a window of that size, because expanding it to fullscreen can dilute the sharpness and contrast. I'm hoping that this feature is included in Splash Pro or even the next version of Splash Lite, if there are any more free updates of it. Ths is not exactly what the previous poster was requesting, regarding cropping images to fit the monitor's top resolution, but both these features would fall in the category of scaling.

Ghost
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: dozens...

Wed May 05, 2010 10:13 pm

BDX wrote: AFAIK FLV is a container file format and has nothing to do with quality.
Is there any ETA for v1.4?
Yes, its true about flv, but it is still not our main target to support flv.
Splash Lite 1.4 will be released after PRO version.
verhak wrote:...
- Add shortcuts for ALL functions. It's a small effort, and it will allow a lot of users to control the application by a remote.
- For the subtitle feature it would be a lot more flexible that you can cycle between external subs and internal subs. A good example of this is Media Player Classic.
- Want I really see as essential and currently lacking are startup parameters. It should be possible (through command line parameters) to open in full-screen, open and play movie (play already possible i saw), always on-top, and automatically close when finished. Without this you won't address the Media Center enthousiasts.
Thanks for suggestions, it is all included in our plans for future releases.
Mirillis Team Member

Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis
Mirillis News Feed:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/mirillisfeed

Ghost
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: dozens...

Wed May 05, 2010 10:21 pm

m4cios wrote:First of all im new here (my first post) and im looking forward to see pro release in action.
i have a suggestion ... it would be nice to have this option in next release ... im talking about built-in shutdown, hibernate after playlist finish and shutdown timer. im using those options all the time in mpc-hc couse i like to see some movies before falling asleep.
this is planned to be added in the future
BDX wrote:Is this project dead already? First PRO version was promised to be released in March, then new version of Lite was promised month ago. Dissappointing. :(
Not dead, we are working very hard actually. We are adding more functionality to Splash PRO then we planned and there is still some licensing work to do before PRO release.
limsgp wrote:Can the player play file in actual size?
Sometimes, the media resolution (1920x1080) is bigger than the display (1280x800) and the video cannot play in actual resolution. There should be an option to play "actual size" even thou part of the picture maybe cropped, but seems that there is no such option on the player?
Current Splash Lite does not support this feature. We will consider this feature for future releases.
Mirillis Team Member

Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis
Mirillis News Feed:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/mirillisfeed

minakshy
PC Specification: Intel

Tue May 18, 2010 10:25 am

I watch a lot of anime on a daily paces.. and a lot of the episodes I watch are MKV files with soft subs.. I usually use gom player to play any video.. but the problem with my gom player is that it does not show the effect of the subtitles in mkv files while other programmes like windows media classic do.. and sometimes it just won't show some of the sentences that should be displayed.. and are displayed in other players..
Last edited by minakshy on Fri May 28, 2010 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BDX
PC Specification: SU7300, GMA 4500MHD, Windows 7 x64

Tue May 18, 2010 2:28 pm

The following file plays back corrupted and greenish with my setup:

Code: Select all

General
Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 186 MiB
Duration                         : 21mn 31s
Overall bit rate                 : 1 208 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-04-11 17:04:21
Writing application              : mkvmerge v2.4.0 ('Fumbling Towards Ecstasy') built on Nov  7 2008 17:24:23
Writing library                  : libebml v0.7.8 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 8 frames
Format settings, GOP             : M=1, N=19
Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 756 Kbps
Width                            : 720 pixels
Height                           : 544 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 4:3
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.081
Stream size                      : 113 MiB (61%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 92 r1523 25ca5b0
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=esa / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.02:0.02 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=20 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=30 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=756 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.10
Language                         : English

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
Codec ID                         : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 448 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Stream size                      : 69.0 MiB (37%)

Is it possible to switch to software decoding with SD material?

Return to “Splash Lite (free)”