gtman
PC Specification: AMD 64 3200+, HD3850, Win 7 U. x64

sound overdrive

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:06 pm

dedicated to this http://www.mirillis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=205 topic
i want to open a new one.
this time i want to understand the problem and i hope that also some team mebers will join.

the problem is that in most of ac3 mkvs the sound is overdriven oder overbuffed.
i dont know yet if it also happens with dts sound files, but i will test it soon.

my pc is a amd 64 3200+ with an ati hd3850 (with full h264 hw acc.) and a x-fi xtreme gamer fatal1ty professional.
the playback of 1080p movies (mkv & untouched m2ts) is running at ~20% cpu usage.
this way it works fine.
i dont got these problems with playback on kmplayer or vlc.
i think its a problem with the splash player (maby in connection with the xfi)
i also didnt have any other codecs installed or something else unusual done with my os.

i really like the splash player and i want to use it für my hd movies but the sound problem makes me very angry :-)

is there some help for us guys with this problem?

(sry for my english)

hope to hear you soon,
bye gtman :-)

Solveig
PC Specification: X2 3800+ (@2.50 GHz) - GTS 250 - Win7x64

Re: sound overdrive

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:38 am

I too have this problem with AC3 playback in Splash Lite, particularly with the louder end of the spectrum in which there is very noticeable "clipping" or "crackling".

Here is a sample in which it is particularly noticeable:

(Currently using the latest Splash Lite 1.3)

This problem does not occur when using WMP 12. Maybe it's because WMP 12 is Dolby Digital Plus Certified?
I notice this logo appears whenever I play a file with AC3 audio:

gtman
PC Specification: AMD 64 3200+, HD3850, Win 7 U. x64

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:05 am

yeah, this sample is right, i get the same things too.
can somebody else check this please?
what do you have for a soundcard Solveig?

im also using 1.3

Solveig

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:18 pm

I use a Sound Blaster Audigy 4 card with the latest drivers for Win7 64-bit, although I doubt this problem is hardware-related as it doesn't happen in other players I've tried. I think it is more like a sampling error or bug in the Splash Lite surround sound decoder. When working in audio recording and restoration I get clipping/crackling artifacts when the dynamic range has been increased way beyond the original sample frequency, so I think this is just an issue with Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) Dynamic Range Control in Splash Lite.

I see Splash supports AC3 but E-AC3 is different and is not backwards compatible with regular Dolby Digital (AC3) decoders, however I think this is unrelated to the issue at hand.

I might be wrong though as this is all just speculation.

Solveig

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:32 am

Whoops, I didn't notice this thread: http://www.mirillis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28

Looks like E-AC3 is not supported at the moment due to Dolby licensing not being completed yet.

So it seems like it's just a simple dynamic range control issue with regular AC3 audio.
I'll also try to find some suitable DTS samples to test and see if this is a problem with multichannel audio in general or just AC3.

Return to “Splash Lite (free)”