Solveig
PC Specification: X2 3800+ (@2.50 GHz) - GTS 250 - Win7x64

GPU hardware acceleration limitations

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:20 am

- GPU video decoding improvements on nVidia GPUs (decoding of 1920x1080 H.264 video streams with more than 5 reference frames)
I was quite excited when I read this, and Splash 1.1 can indeed play pretty much all of my H.264 videos with reference frames up to 16, whereas Splash 1.0.5 wouldn't play some of them at all.

However, I encountered a problem when trying to play this clip.

The clip plays very smoothly using MPC-HC's internal decoder with DXVA. CPU usage is barely noticeable as almost all of the work is done by the GPU. However, when playing in Splash, for some reason GPU hardware acceleration is disabled (the "GPU" logo in the lower left disappears) and the video stutters and skips frequently as CPU load approaches 90-100%.

From what I understand about hardware acceleration, the four most common implementations are based on DXVA, Nvidia CUDA, AMD FireStream, and OpenCL.
Does Splash use its own proprietary method for implementing hardware acceleration via GPU, or does it use a method based on existing implementations like CUDA?

I understand from reading about DXVA limitations that hardware acceleration cannot be applied to videos that don't conform to certain profiles, but seeing as how the above clip plays fine using DXVA (as well as CoreAVC w/ & w/o CUDA), I was wondering what exactly are Splash's limitations regarding what can and cannot be hardware accelerated. Or is this simply a bug that will be addressed in a future release of Splash?

Watchman
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: Core i9-7940X, nVidia RTX2080 SLI, Win10

Re: GPU hardware acceleration limitations

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Hello Solveig!

This problem will be fixed in Splash Lite 1.2 (coming soon). Please note that this will only work on nVidia and Intel GPUs with minimum 256MB VRAM.

Best regards.

denleon
PC Specification: amd sempron si-40,radeon hd3200,vista

Re: GPU hardware acceleration limitations

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:09 am

Hi!
Ati pre-drivers 10.4 and 10.5 allow to play h.264 videos with 16 reframes(DXVA).It works on MPC-HC(internal),POT,Divx h.264 dec,Nero dec(5.1 level only),not in Splash.Is it planned to fix this problem?

Return to “Splash Lite (free)”