android

Problems with mkv GPU acceleration

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Hello all !

I have a big problem . Don`t know why , but I can play anymore mkv files using GPU acceleration .

When I try to play a mkv file , that blue " GPU " logo will show for a second and then disappear , and in this way my old CPU spikes with 720 or 1080 files .

I`m not a PC newbie , so I`ve tried anything: clean install of splash lite , clean install of amd drivers ( ccleaner, driver sweeper , Catalyst 10.10 most stable , and 11.1 ) , manually removing registries amd and mirillis releated etc

Mkv files are h.264/avc with ac3 .

My hardware : ahtlon64 3000 + ( 2 Ghz ) , vc : AGP 4650 Gigabyte . OS : WindXP 32 , SP 3 .

Splas lite version : 1.6.1

I can play mp4 using GPU decoding with no problem .

I`ve runned out of ideas , so any good advice it`s appreciated . :)

Helios
Mirillis Team

Re: Problems with mkv GPU acceleration

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi android,

when blue "GPU" logo shows and disappears it means that AVC you are trying to decode has been coded with some parameter not hanled by your graphic card. Most common case is to much reference frames.
Please also notice, that it can behave differently on WinXP or Vista.
Generally WinXP supports less reference frames because of using DXVA 1.0 API and older Video Renderer.
DXVA 2.0 (Vista or newer) supports higher AVC level.
I suppose those files have never worked on your GPU on XP. Perhaps you tried different files.
Please test some more files to ensure the drivers are fine. You can also use DXVAChecker test application, to avoid unnecessary drivers reinstalling.

regards,

android

Re: Problems with mkv GPU acceleration

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:27 pm

Thank you for your answer . I`ve learned some new things .

You`re right , I`ve tried some movie mkv trailers and some works and others don`t . So I`m kind of OS restricted , but I prefer XP for my old machine ( online games , low on resources etc ) than Wind7 ( not talking about Vista ;)) ) .

DXVA it`s a nice tool .

Your software it`s a great one and everytime I have the opportunity I let peoples know about it on different forums ( amd forum , softpedia forum etc )

Thank you again for your PRO answer . :)

Return to “Splash Lite (free)”