shaddix
PC Specification: e6600@3.1ghz 8800gts sli 7 x64

crushed blacks and tearing

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:18 pm

hi. I get tearing whenever motion2 is not enabled. Also it seems I have to adjust brightness up a lot in order to get it to appear properly on my tv. Is there an option to specify the video levels used in output?

Nielo TM
Expert User
PC Specification: E8200 -ATI 5450/5770 - Windows 7 (x64)

Re: crushed blacks and tearing

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:09 pm

You have to output the correct black level from the PC. If you have NVIDIA or ATI GPU, there should be an option in their respective control panels.

As for tearing, have you tried downloading the latest DirectX updates and updates the graphics driver?

Kurtsture
PC Specification: C2D 3600, Geforce 240, Win7 32bit

Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:18 pm

shaddix wrote:hi. I get tearing whenever motion2 is not enabled. Also it seems I have to adjust brightness up a lot in order to get it to appear properly on my tv. Is there an option to specify the video levels used in output?

Yep, motion2 crushes blacks under level 20. The second problem is that the motion2 mode also resets colour settings and lowers resolution .. :cry: For me the closest settings are detail boost at 6 and light boost at 10 - compared to the picture with motion2 off. Now Light boost sadly seems like a contrast hack to you loose detail with a higher value and also get an saturation boost .. If I were to quess: they ruined the PQ so the "improvements" would make a bigger change in the Demo Mode.

Nielo TM
Expert User
PC Specification: E8200 -ATI 5450/5770 - Windows 7 (x64)

Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:22 pm

It's best not to use Detail Boost or Light Boost as it damages the original image. It can also amplify compression artifacts.

In truth, it's not a problem but mere side effect. It is why it's best keep such features disabled regardless of the software/hardware (inc displays).

Helios
Mirillis Team

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:47 am

Kurtsture wrote:
Yep, motion2 crushes blacks under level 20. The second problem is that the motion2 mode also resets colour settings and lowers resolution .. :cry: For me the closest settings are detail boost at 6 and light boost at 10 - compared to the picture with motion2 off. Now Light boost sadly seems like a contrast hack to you loose detail with a higher value and also get an saturation boost .. If I were to quess: they ruined the PQ so the "improvements" would make a bigger change in the Demo Mode.
Hi,

answering black level:
Please test black level with HW acceleration disabled or with force overlay in settingsis enabled, is it better now?
Now explanation: black level depends on GPU provider and drivers settings (user defined). Black level changes while YUV to RGB conversion and depends on algorithm GPU uses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV
We have no possibility to control that algorithm, but some providers (i.e. nVidia) gives the option in GPU settings (only user can control it).

answering picture quality:
every mathematical picture modification damages quality from mathematical point of view, but looks better from human perception point of view. Thats why it is an option only ;)

regards,

soulburner
PC Specification: Athlon X2 4850e, 1GB RAM, 780G

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:36 am

You can change the color space in some video players - when using ffdshow, you disable all color modes in Output, except RGB32. It forces the 0-255 output. Media Player Classic Home Cinema uses shaders to change the colors to fit that mode. So it seems Splash could use some way of altering the black levels, etc. and not rely solely on the GPU.

Kurtsture

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:36 pm

Helios wrote:
Kurtsture wrote: answering black level:
Please test black level with HW acceleration disabled or with force overlay in settingsis enabled, is it better now?
It works fine in Spash Lite or Pro with your HW accerleration :roll: It's a new "feature" with motion2.
Last edited by Kurtsture on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kurtsture

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:00 pm

Kurtsture wrote:Yep, motion2 crushes blacks under level 20. The second problem is that the motion2 mode also resets colour settings and lowers resolution .. :cry:
I'll quote myself, the colour reset seems like a bug. If the gfx card controls the colour settings Splash Pro with motion2 on resets to the wrong baseline, but with program control it dosen't happen. And with only saturation and not hue control, Splash only is not an option.

Kurtsture

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Nielo TM wrote:It's best not to use Detail Boost or Light Boost as it damages the original image. It can also amplify compression artifacts.

In truth, it's not a problem but mere side effect. It is why it's best keep such features disabled regardless of the software/hardware (inc displays).
I guess theese two pics look the same to you?

You have to use sharpening to get back the feeling of the orginal picture.

shaddix
PC Specification: e6600@3.1ghz 8800gts sli 7 x64

Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:12 am

Since I'm a plasma boy, I don't have access to hardware motion interpolation. However, I have noticed that this splash pro player is handy for dealing with some content. If you guys end up fixing the black crush, add some easy options for specifying video levels, better resistance to tearing I will buy this player

Return to “Splash PRO”