Silent Rain
PC Specification: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (SP1)

My suggestions for improving Splash

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:42 am

1) Please, make a display of remaining time (optional):

2) Remove the zeros on the files, which last less than an hour (by analogy with the MPC-HC). It is confusing! One gets the impression that the video lasts an hour or more, rather than a few minutes:

3) Use the Bicubic interpolation by default, rather than Bilinear. This will make the picture more sharper and purer on SD content.
For example:

4) Quality of video strongly spoils, when I put video on a Pause (Space) or when I use Step frame (F).
For example (VOB file):

5) The quality of this VOB file (link 1 | link 2) is very low against the MPC-HC + LAV Video Decoder + Bicubic:

6) How about capture AR? By analogy withNero ShowTime. A very useful option for anamorphic video, which is often found on DVD discs & VOB files:

7) During video playback, open window "Playback options". Then press the Pause (Space). The button "Reset preset" will become inactive and can not be pressed to reset settings :|

8) I would like to see in the Splash option "Snap to desktop edges":

9) When you press ~, 1, 2 player window is not centered in contrast to the MPC-HC:

MPC-HC (50%):

MPC-HC (100%):

MPC-HC (200%):

10) Splash PRO can not play this MP4 file :!: :?

11) Make so that the mouse cursor disappear immediately after the switch to fullscreen mode. Very annoying when you have to wait for it to disappear :evil:

12) OSD is not displayed when changing volume in windowed mode, only in fullscreen mode. But this OSD displayed in the window mode and also in the fullscreen mode].

13) Pressing Ctrl+S (Settings) very often does not work (the settings do not displayed after pressing this combination).

14) Slow seeking on timeline (random jumps on timeline) compared to PotPlayer and MPC-HC + AV Splitter (in PotPlayer and MPC-HC + AV Splitter instantaneous speed of the seeking).

P.S. Developers, please answer for each of the points.
Last edited by Silent Rain on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

P.J
PC Specification: i5-4460, 16GB RAM, GTX 960, Win10 x64

Re: My suggestions for improving Splash

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:43 pm

1) Please, make a display of remaining time (optional):
I don't like that. The progressbar's position is enough.
2) Remove the zeros on the files, which last less than an hour (by analogy with the MPC-HC). It is confusing! One gets the impression that the video lasts an hour or more, rather than a few minutes:
It makes the view standard and more pro and better, so not good idea.
3) Use the Bicubic interpolation by default, rather than Bilinear. This will make the picture more sharper and purer on SD content.
For example:
No idea, Try "Detail Boost" or Nvidia video settings.
4) Quality of video strongly spoils, when I put video on a Pause (Space) or when I use Step frame (F).
For example (VOB file):
I've seen this problem in other programs too. De-interlacing works while playback.
Try using without GPU. Also take a screenshot and check the result. I'll check it too.
5) The quality of this VOB file (link 1 | link 2) is very low against theMPC-HC + LAV Video Decoder + Bicubic:
Try "Detail Boost" or CPU mode. You can play with your video settings in Nvidia control panel too.
6) How about capture AR? By analogy withNero ShowTime. A very useful option for anamorphic video, which is often found on DVD discs & VOB files:
Already posted.
7) During video playback, open window "Playback options". Then press the Pause (Space). The button "Reset preset" will become inactive and can not be pressed to reset settings :|
Right, also some other buttons. No idea.
8) I would like to see in the Splash option "Snap to desktop edges":
Agree :)
9) When you press ~, 1, 2 player window is not centered in contrast to the MPC-HC:

MPC-HC (50%):

MPC-HC (100%):

MPC-HC (200%):

Centered position would be nice.
10) Splash PRO can not playthis MP4 file :!: :?
Testing... :idea:
11) Make so that the mouse cursor disappear immediately after the switch to fullscreen mode. Very annoying when you have to wait for it to disappear :evil:
The time is good. What do you want to do in the Fullscreen? Watching video, right? :roll:
12) OSD is not displayed when changing volume in windowed mode, only in fullscreen mode. But this OSD displayed in the window mode and also in the fullscreen mode.
Any need? Because in Windowed mode, you have the bottom bar. So you can monitor the volume.
13) Pressing Ctrl+S (Settings) very often does not work (the settings do not displayed after pressing this combination).
"Ctrl+S" uses mostly for "Save...", so no need.

Thanks for your ideas. Don't forget that we want a better player than MPC-HC :)
Last edited by P.J on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Silent Rain

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Remove duplication of my post! Leave only the text :!: Use the button - "Quote".
P.J wrote:Any need? Because in Windowed mode, you have the bottom bar. So you can monitor the volume.
Ok, why then displayed OSD for the "Play / Pause" if there is bottom bar? ;)
P.J wrote:"Ctrl+S" uses mostly for "Save...", so no need.
No need? :lol: It is already in use :D The trouble is that it does not always work.

P.S. Please do not abuse this thread for its messages. This thread was created exclusively for developers from Mirillis and response I expect from them, and not from you. Thanks.

P.J

Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:36 am

Ok, why then displayed OSD for the "Play / Pause" if there is bottom bar? ;)
Ghost will answer :)
No need? :lol: It is already in use :D The trouble is that it does not always work.
Yes, it's a bug :)
P.S. Please do not abuse this thread for its messages. This thread was created exclusively for developers from Mirillis and response I expect from them, and not from you. Thanks.
So email/pm it instead of posting here. It's forum ;)

Ghost
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: dozens...

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:58 pm

Silent Rain wrote: Please, make a display of remaining time (optional):
It is planned but probbaly with PRO 2.0 with some GUI changes.
It is planned to be optional.
Silent Rain wrote: Remove the zeros on the files, which last less than an hour (by analogy with the MPC-HC). It is confusing! One gets the impression that the video lasts an hour or more, rather than a few minutes:
We considered this but some users find confusing timer without hours, some read 01:22 as 1h 22minutes. We still have this on our list but seems to be no perfect way out and we do not wish to add this simple thing as an additonal option.
Silent Rain wrote: Use the Bicubic interpolation by default, rather than Bilinear. This will make the picture more sharper and purer on SD content.
Splash automatically selects the best possible and best for performance scalling. The results depend on graphics card model mainly.
Silent Rain wrote: Quality of video strongly spoils, when I put video on a Pause (Space) or when I use Step frame (F).
For example (VOB file):
This is known problem. It should be visible only with interlaced videos and not in every configuration.
Silent Rain wrote: The quality of this VOB file (link 1 | link 2) is very low against the MPC-HC + LAV Video Decoder + Bicubic:
Seems to be a problem with file, cannot uzip it.
Silent Rain wrote: How about capture AR? By analogy with Nero ShowTime. A very useful option for anamorphic video, which is often found on DVD discs & VOB files:
Scheduled for future versions.
Silent Rain wrote: During video playback, open window "Playback options". Then press the Pause (Space). The button "Reset preset" will become inactive and can not be pressed to reset settings :|
In pause mode some settings are not available.
This results in reset not available as reset could not reset all settings.
Silent Rain wrote: I would like to see in the Splash option "Snap to desktop edges":
This is not included in our plans yet but will add this to the list and will consider.
Silent Rain wrote: When you press ~, 1, 2 player window is not centered in contrast to the MPC-HC:
This sounds ok.
Silent Rain wrote: Splash PRO can not play this MP4 file :!: :?
4k/ultra HD is not supported yet and it will be not available in upcoming updates.

Silent Rain wrote: Make so that the mouse cursor disappear immediately after the switch to fullscreen mode. Very annoying when you have to wait for it to disappear :evil:
Will consider this but this is first time for reportin this as a problem
Silent Rain wrote: 12) OSD is not displayed when changing volume in windowed mode, only in fullscreen mode. But this OSD displayed in the window mode and also in the fullscreen mode.
Yes, we considered to remove this OSD popups in windowed mode but some users find it usefull. THis is still on the list to be considered.
Silent Rain wrote: 13) Pressing Ctrl+S (Settings) very often does not work (the settings do not displayed after pressing this combination).
Can you repeat his and provide a scenario when this exactly happens?

Silent Rain wrote: 14) Slow seeking on timeline (random jumps on timeline) compared to PotPlayer and MPC-HC + AV Splitter (in PotPlayer and MPC-HC + AV Splitter instantaneous speed of the seeking).
Seeking is planned to be further optimized but seeking performance should not be considered as slow. Do you do random click very often (in example several times /s) or slowly (once a second in example)?
Mirillis Team Member

Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis
Mirillis News Feed:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/mirillisfeed

Ghost
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: dozens...

Re: Overscan (Touch Window from Outside)

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:00 am

HVATTAVH wrote:Hi Mirillis!

I very like Splash, especially Splash PRO EX.

But I'm using monitor 16/10 (1280x800). So, Splash can't zoom unlimitedly.

Can you add the feature: Overscan (Touch Window from Outside) into Splash PRO EX?

Thank you very much !!!
You mean to zoom to remove black bars on the top and bottom of the display?
Mirillis Team Member

Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis
Mirillis News Feed:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/mirillisfeed

P.J

Re: Overscan (Touch Window from Outside)

Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Yes, Ctrl+S (Settings) doesn't work :?
HVATTAVH wrote:
Ghost wrote:
HVATTAVH wrote:Hi Mirillis!

I very like Splash, especially Splash PRO EX.

But I'm using monitor 16/10 (1280x800). So, Splash can't zoom unlimitedly.

Can you add the feature: Overscan (Touch Window from Outside) into Splash PRO EX?

Thank you very much !!!
You mean to zoom to remove black bars on the top and bottom of the display?
Thank you very much for your feedback! It's what I want to say :) Can you add it, Ghost? Thanks for all !!!
It already exists :)

Silent Rain

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:47 am

Ghost wrote:
Silent Rain wrote: The quality of this VOB file (link 1 | link 2) is very low against the MPC-HC + LAV Video Decoder + Bicubic:
Seems to be a problem with file, cannot uzip it.
Excellent unpacked in Total Commander! Need to unpack the file with the extension "zip", rather than "z01" ;)
Ghost wrote:
Silent Rain wrote: 13) Pressing Ctrl+S (Settings) very often does not work (the settings do not displayed after pressing this combination).
Can you repeat his and provide a scenario when this exactly happens?
P.J wrote:Yes, Ctrl+S (Settings) doesn't work :?
;)

vivan
Expert User
PC Specification: Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830TG

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:56 am

As for me Ctrl+S works in 100% cases.
The only way this shortcut can cause frustration is when pressing S before Ctrl - it stops the video.
Desktop (Intel i7-970, ATI 5870, Windows 7 x64)
Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830TG (Intel i5-2410M, nVidia GT540M, Windows 7 x64)
PS Vita, Nokia N8

Silent Rain

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Ghost wrote:
Silent Rain wrote: Use the Bicubic interpolation by default, rather than Bilinear. This will make the picture more sharper and purer on SD content.
Splash automatically selects the best possible and best for performance scalling. The results depend on graphics card model mainly.
Please add support for the bicubic interpolation for NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT.

Return to “General Topics”