Eldarian
PC Specification: Intel 7200, ATI Radeon HD 5870, Win 7 64

Splash PRO EX - HW encoding... sigh

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:17 pm

I just installed Splash PRO EX version just to be disappointed (after a loooong wait) that the export function is useless to me and many other people who own ATI/AMD card.

Hardware encoding is a must today. Especially since we have more than capable hardware.
EX version is no different than any other product that has been out there for a loooong time now, using hardware encoding.
They all have in common one thing. Encode video by CPU and by using CUDA (nVidia).

We have plethora of options out there for years now that offer us that.
Mature products even.

I was expecting something more from Mirillis team to be honest.
STREAM support, not just a link to AMDs video converter, but a true Mirrilis solution using their own code since stream technology code is open to programmers more than a year now. Access that raw power of AMD 5870+ stream processors and offer us a solution that no other company has offered yet.

Yes it is what the users expect from you. Mirillis has a growing fan base because the fact that their product is light and can use hardware decoding elegantly, thwarting similar offerings from other companies in design, approach and the whole package experience we have come to expect and love.

I didn't want to go out on a rant really.
I was just upset because EX is/has nothing new, nothing useful from what we already have now.
CUDA users have their own solution to hardware encoding for years so nothing really new for them either
and CPU users,... yea all of us have other slooow solutions for years.

In summary: ATI/AMD users have got the shaft.
Again. :(

vivan
Expert User
PC Specification: Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830TG

Re: Splash PRO EX - HW encoding... sigh

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Ghost wrote:
icsterm wrote:... Will it support hardware accelerated transcoding? Some more info needed :D
In first version of Splash Export we plan to include support for:
- hardware accelerated video encoding with Intel Sandy Bridge
- hardware accelerated video encoding with NVIDIA CUDA
- hardware accelerated video decoding for video encoding process (offloading cpu to make it encode video faster)
Ghost wrote about 2 month ago -> http://www.mirillis.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3054#p3054
Desktop (Intel i7-970, ATI 5870, Windows 7 x64)
Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830TG (Intel i5-2410M, nVidia GT540M, Windows 7 x64)
PS Vita, Nokia N8

Eldarian
PC Specification: Intel 7200, ATI Radeon HD 5870, Win 7 64

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:22 pm

I don't follow the posts. I just come to the forums every time there is an upgrade available.
Besides, why not go the extra mile?

Lack of support for Stream by all companies leaves me baffled.
What, is it hard to implement?
Is the hardware too locked up?

OpenCL™: The Open Standard for Parallel Programming of GPUs and Multi-core CPUs is OPEN.
Does the fact that some real programming is needed to utilize it keep you back?

Sotos Ch
PC Specification: C2D E8400, HD5770, Windows 7 (64bit)

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Eldarian wrote:I don't follow the posts. I just come to the forums every time there is an upgrade available.
Besides, why not go the extra mile?

Lack of support for Stream by all companies leaves me baffled.
Me too...

Nielo TM
Expert User
PC Specification: E8200 -ATI 5450/5770 - Windows 7 (x64)

Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:33 am

Unfortunately no one offers OpenCL end-user solutions at present. Even Adobe explored OpenCL before exclusively supporting CUDA.

OpenCL is very new and requires time for the industry to adopt (not to mention AMD just released released the first driver with embedded native OpenCL support). There are also teething issues that needs to be worked out. CUDA on the other hand has been out for 5 years and supported by wide range of NV cards therefore gained massive reputation and it works! It is also easier to developer as it is based on C and optimized. ATM it is the best all round solution (as much as I hate to say it). So for the time being, NVIDIA has the upper hand.

PS: You can Google the advantages of CUDA and how it compares to OpenCL. I found many useful links when I researched the very subject few days ago.

Ghost
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: dozens...

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Eldarian wrote:I just installed Splash PRO EX version just to be disappointed (after a loooong wait) that the export function is useless to me and many other people who own ATI/AMD card.

Hardware encoding is a must today. Especially since we have more than capable hardware.
EX version is no different than any other product that has been out there for a loooong time now, using hardware encoding.
They all have in common one thing. Encode video by CPU and by using CUDA (nVidia).

We have plethora of options out there for years now that offer us that.
Mature products even.

I was expecting something more from Mirillis team to be honest.
STREAM support, not just a link to AMDs video converter, but a true Mirrilis solution using their own code since stream technology code is open to programmers more than a year now. Access that raw power of AMD 5870+ stream processors and offer us a solution that no other company has offered yet.

Yes it is what the users expect from you. Mirillis has a growing fan base because the fact that their product is light and can use hardware decoding elegantly, thwarting similar offerings from other companies in design, approach and the whole package experience we have come to expect and love.

I didn't want to go out on a rant really.
I was just upset because EX is/has nothing new, nothing useful from what we already have now.
CUDA users have their own solution to hardware encoding for years so nothing really new for them either
and CPU users,... yea all of us have other slooow solutions for years.

In summary: ATI/AMD users have got the shaft.
Again. :(
We are sorry that you feel disapointed but we really do our best to deliver the best possible products.
At the moment we do not support Stream yet but you can use hardware accelerated video decoding during video encoding and this should increase exporting performance.

Using hardware acceleration with ATI 5xxx should speed up:
- 1080p encoding by around 10-15%
- 720p up to 30%
- 480p up to 50%

We plan to add Stream support in the future but we do not know when this will be avialable.
Mirillis Team Member

Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis
Mirillis News Feed:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/mirillisfeed

P.J
PC Specification: i5-4460, 16GB RAM, GTX 960, Win10 x64

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:00 pm

ATI won't accelerate. It just offloads CPU but Nvidia uses both CPU+GPU and accelerate well.
Sandybridge is different too, super fast.

Endrio
PC Specification: 2007

Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:43 pm

Return to “Knowledge Base”