CMay
PC Specification: q6600@3.0, 4gb ddr 800, gtx275, w7x64

Some Action! 1.6.0.0-1.8.0.0 Feedback

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:01 am

Some of this is feedback I've been holding onto for a while now and just hadn't submitted yet.

Requests:
  • Unlock the system and microphone audio volumes from eachother so one is not forced to be quieter than the other? This is preventing the proper use of voice chat while recording, because any resulting recording will be quieter than necessary. People tend to adjust their game volume down while leaving their voice chat volumes higher so they can hear other people, but with the volumes being locked even other people will be relatively quiet in the recording.
  • Add an option to only record the microphone when a sound of a definable loudness is detected, configurable with a slider? The trick here would be buffering the microphone recording so that once the sound is detected, it can go back into the buffer and record it into the latest portion of video the moment before the noise began so the start of a sentence doesn't get cut off in the recording? It might even involve having to fade the mic recording in so it's less jarring.
  • Key binding to toggle muting Action's microphone recording volume for the convenience of not having to press a key to talk, but still decide to silence the mic during recording. Note that I don't mean muting the system mic, as it may be in use for other things, but only muting the recording volume for it in Action! so that off-the-record conversation or unnecessary noise can be avoided in the recording.
  • Have the file explorer dialog open to the current video directory (when you click the "..." button).
  • The Action video thumbnail view makes it harder to see the full filenames. Will there be a list view option?
  • It might be convenient for the Active Video Region tool to have an option (maybe right clicking on the dimension text) to select from a set of standard sizes rather than having to use the snap to window option or adjusting the frame to be pixel perfect. 853x480, 640x480, 1280x720, 1280x1024, etc so it's painless to set the frame size to something that will play well on other devices/youtube.
  • There should be an available update indicator in the main GUI rather than a temporary balloon popup on start. Perhaps a new tab that lights up? Maybe the "i" in the top right corner can animate/change?

Bugs / Issues:
  • When recording audio, the audio tab has a red recording indicator on it, but when recording video there is no indicator on the video tab. If you are on the video tab page, there is a large indicator there, but if you are on a separate tab page, then the video tab itself does not have an indicator like the audio tab does. The HUD provides a nice indication, but the HUD may be hidden.
  • Clicking on the available update balloon notice too soon after Action! was started (before the UI came up) caused it to become unresponsive.
  • Action interface still has the Splash context menu (though none of the menu items work aside from Exit), which is accessible only with the menu key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menu_key
  • When recording at a lower resolution than original, the recorded frame is scaled down with significant aliasing. Perhaps in the video settings there should be some scaling options for the video size setting that allow you to enable cleaner, but more processing intensive scaling. I've noticed this since the earlier versions, but never thought to mention it as I haven't been using it. It's possible I might use the feature more if the aliasing wasn't as bad, even if there isn't a major performance gain over just recording at the original size. The scaling from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 is passable, but going from 1920x1080 to 853x480 it's as if it doesn't even try.

Thanks for continuing to improve Action!
Last edited by CMay on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radi
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Re: Some Action! 1.6.0.0-1.8.0.0 Feedback

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks for the feedback! Developers will look into it and see what they can do :)
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

djdynamite123
PC Specification: i7 4770k, R9 290 Gaming, Win 7 x64.

Re: Some Action! 1.6.0.0-1.8.0.0 Feedback

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:54 am

Key binding to toggle muting Action's microphone recording volume for the convenience of not having to press a key to talk, but still decide to silence the mic during recording. Note that I don't mean muting the system mic, as it may be in use for other things, but only muting the recording volume for it in Action! so that off-the-record conversation or unnecessary noise can be avoided in the recording.
still not available yet??? :(

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”