Arsb3llicA
PC Specification: i5 2500K, 2x GTX460 SLI, Windows 8 x64

Microphone record on button down doesn't work properly

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:05 am

I tested the microphone record on button down feature a few months ago and found that was extremely delayed and didn't work properly. Since its been awhile I decided to retest the feature about an hour ago. What I found is that it only works when the record on button down key bind is the only key being pressed on the keyboard. This is still an issue and the feature isn't working as it should. Most of the time that I record is when I'm gaming and in most situations I'm using my microphone while moving about. The microphone should be recorded as long as the record on button down key bind is being pressed REGARDLESS of what other keys are being pressed at the same time.

Really short version: doesn't work when more than one key is being pressed.

Is this feature going to be fixed anytime in the foreseeable future?

radi
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Re: Microphone record on button down doesn't work properly

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:55 pm

It's probably caused by your other key that is pressed after pressing Push-to-talk button. It overwrites your current pushed key and Action! consider this as unpressed hotkey.
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

Arsb3llicA

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Yes, but that's not how this feature should work. Action! should keep recording your mic AS LONG AS the hotkey is being pressed REGARDLESS of what key is pressed after the hotkey is pressed.

In hopes of actually getting this issue resolved I'm going to further explain the shortcomings of this feature. Hopefully by the end of my post you'll understand why the current functioning of the record on button down microphone feature isn't acceptable.

Action! WILL NOT record your microphone when any other key is being pressed and still held when pressing the microphone recording hotkey.
Example:
I press and hold "W" to walk straight ahead.
I press my microphone recording hotkey "B" and say "microphone test" while "W" is still be pressed.
Nothing gets recorded.

Here's an example of another situation where Action! doesn't record properly:
I press my microphone recording hotkey "B" and say "Mirillis Action! microphone" while no other key is being pressed.
I continue to hold my microphone recording hotkey and I also press and hold "W" to walk straight ahead in the game.
When I press "W" I say "record on button down test".
I then let go of my microphone recording hotkey.
As soon as I hit "W" the microphone stops being recorded. So only "Mirillis Action! microphone" gets recorded.

I'm a competitive PC gamer and all of the other people that I know who use Action! are as well. Almost all of us (depending on the game) use an external program such as Mumble for communicating during matches. Most of us use push to talk in Mumble so that extraneous noises aren't picked up and don't disturb the other players (since we're listening for sounds such as footsteps in game). When Mirillis Action! is set to always record the microphone it picks up quite a bit of unwanted noise that I don't want in the videos that I upload and it hinders the viewer experience. The Action! "record on button down" microphone feature should function just as the Mumble push to talk feature.

sulsahhh
PC Specification: Windows 7 Ultimate

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:25 pm

This is very annoying. I knew there was a problem with the record on button down option, but I never knew what caused it. I think Arsb3llica has it right. Please fix it so that whenever I have the button pressed, my mic gets recorded as well. Shouldn't matter whether I pressed another key afterwards or not. It should record as long as the button is pressed.

nXsEagle
PC Specification: Stuff

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:17 pm

This is a very annoying problem to have. I am also a competitive gamer and being forced to use voice activation to record is annoying, as it can cause extra noises in the background of the video that can decrease the quality of the video. Who wants to watch a video where the whole time you can hear the persons little sister screaming into the microphone?

The only solution is to please fix it. What Arsbellica said I think it correct and should be fixed.

90N1NE
PC Specification: 4770K, GTX670, Win7 x64,

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:38 pm

Ditto. I always wondered why my mic wasn't always being recorded even though I know I was pressing the button because my teammates could hear me in teamspeak. This problem kind of defeats the purpose of the hotkey recording. This issue is preventing me from using Action! so it would be greatly appreciated if this was sorted out.

V4K3NT
PC Specification: i5 3570k, 670 FTW, Winows 7

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:37 am

I have the same problem... The audio won't record properly unless I have set to always record, which is somewhat annoying since you can hear the clicking sounds from my mechanical keyboard when I am recording.

Arsb3llicA

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks for posting sulsahhh. I agree that this is extremely annoying because of all the static noise that gets picked up when the mic is always being recorded (keyboard presses and breathing). Hopefully this thread will make the Mirillis Action! developers aware of the issue so that they can get it fixed ASAP. As of this post I know of at least 5 other people who have posts currently pending in this thread (1st post needs to be approved by a moderator). Keep spreading the word!

radi
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:49 am

Thank you for your feedback guys. I've forwarded your message to our developers.
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

Arsb3llicA

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:19 pm

The latest release of Mirillis Action has fixed the logic behind the microphone recording issue although there are still microphone recording issues that need to be fixed.

There are times where my microphone doesn't get recorded even though I am pushing the record on button down hotkey.
The reliability of the the capture method needs to be improved.

There are times where my microphone cuts out at the end of a sentence but it's hard to tell if I'm letting go of my microphone record on button down hotkey too soon or if it's the software cutting it off.

FEATURE REQUEST
To go along with the latter issue It'd be nice to have a feature like...
Mumble's "Hold Time" (time the microphone stays open after the PTT key is released)
or TeamSpeak's "Delay releasing Push-To-Talk" that way if you accidentally let go of the record on button down hotkey at the end of a sentence you're not immediately cut off. This setting should allow the user to set a value in ms or seconds.

I'd like to give the dev team some thanks for listening to this thread and quickly releasing an update. Keep up the good work.

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”