UTR
PC Specification: i7,16gb,ssd,win7,2x680gtx

Delete all FFS

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:24 pm

Rushing just clicked delete all instead of delete selected is there anyway to recover my video it's weeks of work. THE DELETE ALL OPTION IS SO F**KING RETARDED

radi
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Re: Delete all FFS

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Videos are deleted permanently. That's why there's a pop up asking if you are sure that you want to delete selected files.
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

UTR
PC Specification: i7,16gb,ssd,win7,2x680gtx

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:14 am

radi wrote:Videos are deleted permanently. That's why there's a pop up asking if you are sure that you want to delete selected files.
The deleted selected is right next to the delete all you click what you think is delete selected the ok the popup only to find its delete all and all your work is gone. You either need to remove/move the option or move the files to the bin seriously I bet 100's of people do this it's completely retatded

radi
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 am

UTR wrote:
radi wrote:Videos are deleted permanently. That's why there's a pop up asking if you are sure that you want to delete selected files.
The deleted selected is right next to the delete all you click what you think is delete selected the ok the popup only to find its delete all and all your work is gone. You either need to remove/move the option or move the files to the bin seriously I bet 100's of people do this it's completely retatded
Delete all files is next to Delete selected file for the same reason Open/play selected file is next to Open output folder. It refers to similar functionality. As for this feature usage I make lots of short videos and use the delete all feature very often, so it's not true that 100% of Action! users find this functionality "completely retarded".
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

MeiVincible
PC Specification: Intel i7 920, GTX 660 Ti, Windows 7 x64

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:19 pm

This part also bothersome me to begin with. Lost a handful recordings the same way.
I suggest learn using the buttons or perhaps DEL key instead. What I did, I started avoid the popup menu when making deletions. That way It seem less likely I'm accidently going delete my content. :)

radi wrote:Delete all files is next to Delete selected file for the same reason Open/play selected file is next to Open output folder. It refers to similar functionality. As for this feature usage I make lots of short videos and use the delete all feature very often, so it's not true that 100% of Action! users find this functionality "completely retarded".
Yes, it's common sticking similar functionalities close together, however it also have its negative side, like in this situation.
Why not put "Delete All" for example more at the bottom in the popup list? It's seriously not much different and still easy to find. Of course, just ideas.

daniel44
PC Specification: i5 3450 hd7950 windows7homepremium64 bit

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:41 pm

i used the delete all option once and it was a mistake.
you should put the option at the bottom of the list, it's much safer there and it wont make any difference because you are not using the delete all option very often.

ZachGates
PC Specification: Win 8.1, i5 4670K, GTX 970

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:19 pm

And when you're used to that popup because normally you hit "delete selected files" but accidentally hit "delete all" you're in a groove you don't notice that the popup says "all" instead of "selected".

So thanks. Because there's no recycle bin or recovery feature I just lost a lot of footage. I'm actually sick to my stomach now.

Good job. Excellent product. No such thing as "recover". I'm SHOCKED and frankly furious I spent money on this now.

Claunator
PC Specification: Win 10 64-bit, i7-6700K, GTX 970

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:42 am

ZachGates wrote:
And when you're used to that popup because normally you hit "delete selected files" but accidentally hit "delete all" you're in a groove you don't notice that the popup says "all" instead of "selected".

So thanks. Because there's no recycle bin or recovery feature I just lost a lot of footage. I'm actually sick to my stomach now.

Good job. Excellent product. No such thing as "recover". I'm SHOCKED and frankly furious I spent money on this now.
I'm even more shocked at the fact that people blame the product makers for their OWN mistakes! Rush is NEVER a good thing. I actually don't understand people who are ignorant enough to blame the makers for something they tweaked a LONG time ago and they STILL repeat the same mistake... seriously, i remember reading that Mirillis used to have the "delete all" option directly below "delete selected" option, and they moved "delete all" to the bottom of the list FOR THIS VERY REASON! It blows my mind how moronic some people are...

ZachGates
PC Specification: Win 8.1, i5 4670K, GTX 970

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:13 pm

Claunator wrote: I'm even more shocked at the fact that people blame the product makers for their OWN mistakes! Rush is NEVER a good thing. I actually don't understand people who are ignorant enough to blame the makers for something they tweaked a LONG time ago and they STILL repeat the same mistake... seriously, i remember reading that Mirillis used to have the "delete all" option directly below "delete selected" option, and they moved "delete all" to the bottom of the list FOR THIS VERY REASON! It blows my mind how moronic some people are...
Because there's a thing called a "safeguard". Just moving a button doesn't change the fact that MISTAKES WILL HAPPEN. People MAKE errors and having a piece of software that is UNFORGIVING with errors is a flaw in the SOFTWARE. That's WHY there is a recycle bin, dude, because that way you can delete stuff, SEE that the wrong files went away, then go and get them back.

Maybe you're part of some elite interstellar race of people who never do anything incorrect, but I'm a human being who makes an error now and again. For a piece of software to actually go AROUND Windows' safer two-step deletion and force me to buy recovery software in order to pray to every god I can think of that it's possible.

EVERY piece of quality software has an "undo" feature when it comes to... pretty much anything. Hell in Premiere and Photoshop you can spend an hour editing something and then step by step undo your way back to a blank timeline/canvas. And that includes deletion.

Am I going to criticize Action (which I paid for, of course) for being the only piece of software I have used in the last few years that just completely command-line deletes my stuff with no way of getting it back. YES I am. Hell why have the file browser there at ALL? It doesn't help, it just creates problems like this.

You know why it happens?

Let me tell you why it happens.

The "delete" key in Action doesn't actually delete anything. So when I select the files I want to delete and hit my delete key, they just sit there staring at me as if to say "what, you thought this worked like every other piece of software on the planet?" Ohhhhh of course, I have to go into the right-click menu and pick the correct delete option, which opens up to the possibility of hitting the wrong one. This WOULD NOT HAPPEN if I could just select my files, tap delete, and they'd get deleted.

There are TWO ways for Mirillis to have avoided this frenzy. Either make the delete button (gasp) delete, or don't go and command-line erase files from their own stupid file browser. Neither of these make any SEMBLANCE of sense, and yet here you are galumphing your way in and defending terrible software design for no reason beyond I'm sure it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy that you're smarter than dumb ol' me who's over here in a panic trying to recover files.

Well I hope you feel awesome, I really do, because my recovery software says thirty six freaking hours to go and I have no interest in dealing with you any more if you just want to crow and flap your arms and feel like a big man. Good on ya.

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”