AlanDavison
PC Specification: Intel i5, NVIDIA GTX580, Windows 7

Action has produced two broken AVI files since 1.16.0.0

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:57 am

I have also emailed this to support@mirillis.com. I'm just also posting it here for the benefit of anyone else who may have had a similar problem.

Since the 1.16.0.0 update, Action! has produced two broken, almost unusable files. Nothing unexpected happened whilst recording, or ending the video file. Neither the game, nor Action! crashed, and everything continued to function normally after ending the recording.

I dug into the problem a little, and found the (AVI) files were missing their index, so most playback software couldn't play them back without excess buffering, not knowing the timestamps and all. Action!'s built-in exporter output only somewhere around 4 minutes of the 35 minute long file. The built-in exporter also did not include any audio, even having exported multiple times, choosing all available audio tracks. I was also unable to retrieve the sound using any tool I could think of. Any number of tools to attempt to demux the audio failed to produce anything but a 300 or so Byte large file for each audio track.

I checked with GSpot (codec information tool), and it correctly reports the full length of the file, (35:36:779) as well as the frame rate (30fps), and shows both audio streams. The only peculiarity is on the container section of the report:

Code: Select all

Note: 8.70 GB unneeded bytes at end of file
Multipart OpenDML AVI (5 parts)
(4556 frames in first part, 59548 frames follow)
So obviously something went horribly wrong in the writing of the file if GSpot thinks the 14GB file ends 8.7GB sooner than it ought to.

I still have a copy of the file, and will be able to either upload it to my own webspace, or upload somewhere else if required for examination.

Settings used:

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”