AlanDavison
PC Specification: Intel i5, NVIDIA GTX580, Windows 7

Yet more audio sync issues

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:46 am

Ahoy, everyone. I'm coming at you with a rather.. large problem with Action! that is simply so bad I cannot continue using it until I find a resolution. The problem in question is how obscenely quickly the audio drifts out of sync with the video. The issue occurred rather suddenly, with no changes in drivers, software, or hardware. Everything is of course up to date.

Obligatory system specs:
Intel i5 750,
8GB RAM,
GTX 580,
Asus Xonar Essence ST (PCI, not PCI-E)
Recording to a 600GB WD VelociRaptor, 10,000 rpm drive that I benchmarked to ~135MB/s sequential write speed

The settings when the problem first came up were my usual: 30fps, high quality video, recording the microphone into a separate audio track. I then changed my settings to only record the microphone upon the press of a button, as seen in the test results below. That did not fix the problem, of course.

I should mention, however, that this problem has thus far only happened with Minecraft. I haven't yet tested with any other games, as once I noticed the problem I stopped using it for fairly obvious reasons. I do intend to do some further tests with Minecraft, and with other games.

I have found the post here, which is the first thing I intend to test. I.e., disabling microphone input entirely, recording for 15 minutes or so, and then checking the sync.

The audio goes out of sync as follows. The format for the below is:

Code: Select all

Timestamp 	 | Sound behind by
00:01:00		| 0
00:01:25		| 0
00:03:31		| 0
00:04:31.14	| 5 frames, clearly noticeable if you pay attention
00:05:21.19	| 5 frames
00:06:51.01	| 6 frames
00:07:27.08	| 7 frames, clearly noticeable without paying attention
00:08:06.05	| 12 frames, 
00:10:24		| 26. TWENTY SIX frames out. That's almost an entire second at this point
00:12:36.08	| 28 frames
00:13:26.19	| 28 frames
Beyond this point in the video, there's nothing visible allowing me to check the sync.

Settings in Action! (recorded at 2560x1440, at 30fps):
Record system sounds = yes
Allow multi-channel audio recording = yes
Microphone = record on button down
Video quality: high
Bitrate: N/A
Input range: full
Multicore rendering = yes
Record mouse cursor = yes
Audio device: Line-in (Asus Xonar Essence ST)
Record microphone into separate audio track = no
Audio device: Speakers (Asus Xonar Essence ST)
AAC bitrate: "System default", whatever that means

Thanks for reading this, and I will post back with future test results. I can also upload the raw video file, though that will take approximately four hours.

I'll also email this off to support@mirillis.com.

AlanDavison
PC Specification: Intel i5, NVIDIA GTX580, Windows 7

Re: Yet more audio sync issues

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:53 am

I uploaded the video so you can see the sync issue for yourself. It's right here.

Also, completely disabling Action!'s mic input (choosing record on button down is not adequate) does seem to solve the audio sync issue. There is still something needing to be fixed clearly, though.

I did notice that the person who posted the thread mentioned in the original post also has an Asus Xonar family card. I'll happily provide more information if requested to help fix the problem.

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”