rm2kdev
PC Specification: Intel Core I7, Nvidia GTC 680, Win 8.1

Save Audio Streams Seperate

Sun May 04, 2014 6:32 am

Hi i made this post about 20 mins ago and i cant find it on the forum so im going to post it again and this time make it slightly shorter.

Editing videos out of Action! is a pain in the ass if your using Split Audio. Because adobe premier doesn't recognize the other audio tracks. You said you follow the video spec and adobe doesn't support it properly well thats fine but if your videos are not editable in professional editing software then you need to break spec so that people can actually use the product.

A simple fix would be to add a save audio separately button so that both streams get saved along side the video as wav files.
currently i have to spend hours using VirtualDub to extract the audio streams.... this is an unnessacary step if you added the option above.

Sincerely, Unhappy Customer :) i don't know where my last post went but i haven't received any notifications from a mod saying it was removed so im going to assume website error or my browser shat its self and repost this.

AlanDavison
PC Specification: Intel i5, NVIDIA GTX580, Windows 7

Re: Save Audio Streams Seperate

Tue May 06, 2014 9:09 pm

rm2kdev wrote:Hi i made this post about 20 mins ago and i cant find it on the forum so im going to post it again and this time make it slightly shorter.

Editing videos out of Action! is a pain in the ass if your using Split Audio. Because adobe premier doesn't recognize the other audio tracks. You said you follow the video spec and adobe doesn't support it properly well thats fine but if your videos are not editable in professional editing software then you need to break spec so that people can actually use the product.

A simple fix would be to add a save audio separately button so that both streams get saved along side the video as wav files.
currently i have to spend hours using VirtualDub to extract the audio streams.... this is an unnessacary step if you added the option above.

Sincerely, Unhappy Customer :) i don't know where my last post went but i haven't received any notifications from a mod saying it was removed so im going to assume website error or my browser shat its self and repost this.
I completely agree. I can demux the audio perfectly fine using ffmpeg and a batch file I created, but it still takes quite a long time to process.

I posted a thread containing it ages ago here. It's not perfect, but all you need to do is drag the .avi onto the .bat file, and it'll output "<name of video>-game.wav" and "<name of video>-commentary.wav" to the same directory as the video.

Not perfect, but until the devs add an option to record the streams separately, it'll have to do.

radi
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Wed May 07, 2014 5:32 pm

It's Adobe fault that they don't support media files with more than one audio track. Sony Vegas handles these files easily. About second audio track as separate file. At first there was a plan to add similar functionality, but after the discussion our developers have decided to add it as another audio track to avoid mess and searching for the same file (one is video, one is audio, both in different location).
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

DarkMain
PC Specification: i7-4930k @ 4.4GHz, RX Vega, Windows 10

Wed May 07, 2014 8:58 pm

radi wrote:About second audio track as separate file. At first there was a plan to add similar functionality, but after the discussion our developers have decided to add it as another audio track to avoid mess and searching for the same file (one is video, one is audio, both in different location).
If you have your folders set up correctly then 'searching' for files is a non issue (assuming the files have the same name but a different extension).

Currently people who are NOT using Vegas to edit their videos are having to use 3rd party software to extract the audio track from the video file and they end up with a separate audio file any way. Having Action record it separately just removes a step for some people making it more convenient.

Adding in the option to record a separate audio file also gives the people who use MP4 recording the same flexibility of AVI (Mic and system sounds are separate for better, more flexible editing).

rm2kdev
PC Specification: Intel Core I7, Nvidia GTC 680, Win 8.1

Thu May 08, 2014 5:04 am

I have to agree with other users we NEED this functionality to be able have an efficient work flow... just get the developers to add a tick box if we want the audio saved separately. I'm a software engineer myself its not hard... you allready have the audio streams in memory we just need them dumped separately.

And Dark Martin is right People who arnt using vegas have to edit their videos too.... Adobe Premier is 10x more used that Vegas and if you cant support it 'in the file' because i have other multi channel audio files from other programs that work fine in adobe premier than listen to your paying users and add an option so we can save the audio!.....

People are resorting to scripts and third party tools wasting time to do these basic features that would take a seasoned developer 10 minutes to an hour of work to complete.....

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”