icerouther
PC Specification: i7 2600k, AMD HD7970, Windows 8.1 64bit

Suggestions to improve Mirillis Action!

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:03 pm

Hello

As User of a AMD-GPU who doesn't have the ability to use Shadowplay, I found Action! to be the best recording Software out there, however there a few things that I think, you could improve on. (I'm most likely still going to be using Action!, if i buy the GTX880 when it comes out, just because I prefer the lossless avi-quality over the 50mbit/s mp4 quality that Shadowplay offers.

So as someone who likes to edit with High Quality Footage, I was very pleased to see the 120 fps option with a recent update,
however it would also be great to have options in between 60 fps and 120 fps. I for instance believe my current setup would be capable at recording 1080p footage in BF4 at around 80-90 fps. So it would be great to have either a bunch of options in steps of 10 between 60 and 120, or actually freely let the user choose a framerate like its possible in dxtory
or fraps

Another great improvement would be the possiblity to record more than one audio-track/audio-channel for output devices. currently it is only possible to record the output device that is set to default in windows and one input device/microphone. If I wanted to not only record game audio, but also record sound from teamspeak, id have to play both back on one output device and couldnt properly seperate them for editing afterwards. managing this like its done in dxtory, where you can setup up to 8 audio-channels and assign a input or output device to each of them yourself, would be a great way to deal with this.

One more thing I'm kind of missing in Action! is the possibility to display both, the ammount of fps actually produced by the gpu, aswell as the ammount of fps currently beeing written to the recording, simultaniously, as it is possible in dxtory:
Currently in action! it displays the ammount of frames as long as you dont record and switches to displaying the ammount of frames written to the file as soon as you hit record, while the framerate is not actually capped to the recording framerate, which is good. I'd like to see this feature added for all recording modes not only the 'Games and Applictions' mode, but also the 'Active Screen' and 'active desktop region' modes.

Lastely adding a option to not record HUD in Active Screen mode, while actually displaying it on screen, just like it already exists for the gaming mode would be great.
Since The Gaming mode only works for DirectX and OpenGL Games, but not for the Mantle API (currently only used in BF4, but supposedly to be used in many future titles), which can currently only be recorded with the Active Screen mode, if the games-settings are set to 'Borderless-windowed' mode instead of Fullscreen-mode.

Also one thing that I dont quiet understand about the HUD:
What is the number in the left box(highlighted by the yellow circle) supposed to mean? It just confuses me, since its diffrent to the recording framerate and the video framerate (displayed in green with bf3 console command)

I hope these suggestions are helpfull and I explained with a good amount of detail, so you can actually look into improving Action! with these ideas.

Sincerly
icerouther
Last edited by icerouther on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DarkMain
PC Specification: i7-4930k @ 4.4GHz, RX Vega, Windows 10

Re: Suggestions to improve Mirillis Action!

Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:18 am

icerouther wrote:Hello
What is the number in the left box(highlighted by the yellow circle) supposed to mean? It just confuses me, since its diffrent to the recording framerate and the video framerate (displayed in green with bf3 console command)
That's your average frame rate.
http://download.mirillis.com/files/Acti ... Manual.pdf

Claunator
PC Specification: Win 10 64-bit, i7-6700K, GTX 970

Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:44 pm

icerouther wrote:Lastely adding a option to not record HUD in Active Screen mode, while actually displaying it on screen, just like it already exists for the gaming mode would be great.
This is the only option i'm really hoping for myself. But EVERY suggestion u made is great! Definitely worth considering.

icerouther
PC Specification: i7 2600k, AMD HD7970, Windows 8.1 64bit

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:24 pm

DarkMain wrote:
icerouther wrote:Hello
That's your average frame rate.
http://download.mirillis.com/files/Acti ... Manual.pdf
I must have missed that somehow, when I checked the manual a while back. But thanks for clearing my confusion.

nyooms
PC Specification: 10

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:25 am

Hello, I've been using your recording for a little while now and it's brilliant! Does exactly what I need. There is just one thing. I think you should add a built-in video editor. It would be handy if you need to get a video edited quick and easy. Hope you consider this it would be really great if you did! Thanks.

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”