SnapperAF1990
PC Specification: R7 5800X, RTX 3080, Windows 10 21H1

Feature Suggestions and A Few Problems

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:29 am

First, let me say thank you. This program is a must need for me since I decided to cut GeForce Experience from my life. So many bugs with video capture and Nvidia's lack of competence with how they handle driver updates, new features and fixes finally drove me away. It may cost a pretty penny, but for serious content creators it's 100% worth it. However, there are some caveats that I think needs to be ironed out and a few new features that Mirillis can add that can improve the experience.

First the Action overlay. The overlay does not need to be inside of every program that isn't a game. For example, certain video players like VLC, streaming programs like OBS Studio, and certain video editing programs like Vegas Pro. Action detects almost everything besides a browser and hooks itself into all of them. Meaning if I run a game with one of these programs open, it may not treat the game as a priority. This is bad for the time shift feature. It would be nice if the Action was updated to somehow exclude programs that don't run on the regular gaming APIs (Direct X, OpenGL) or simply treat the game as it's primary program to hook in to when it's open. Or how about a exclusion list that allow us to tell Action not to hook in to any program or exe files we include in said list. I know that the program has a streaming feature and I'm sure it works fine but OBS allows for more customization. It would be great if I'm able to simply use Action as a recording tool and FPS counter and OBS Studio as the streaming tool.

Second, Time Shift caching and saving speed. Long story short, it's too slow IMO. I'm not sure if the hard drives are the bottle neck or if it works in any other fashion. I wonder if it uses the RAM as a caching storage or hard drive. I'm not really sure. Anyway when I didn't completely hate Shadowplay in Geforce Experience, every single file saved instantly when I used the Instant Replay feature (Shadowplay's Time shift). The type of drive didn't matter either. There was hardly any wait time. I'm forced to use an SSD as my capture drive to save files as fast as possible. And even then, it could take 30 seconds or so after I hit the hotkeys to completely save a file using Time Shift. And the longer time, the longer it takes. I really don't want to use my SSD to capture everything since it's constant writing and deleting and rewriting the file. I prefer to use my 4TB drive to save everything since it can take a beating and if something goes wrong, I can easily replace it.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. Once again thank you for providing such a product. It's well worth the money and much better than the free option that Nvidia provides at the moment.

radi
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Re: Feature Suggestions and A Few Problems

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:33 pm

Hello SnapperAF1990,

Thank you for your valuable feedback! Currently in Action! you can exclude all the exe files you don't want Action! to monitor by creating exclude.txt file in Action! install directory and you can add all the exe names in new lines. We will make this feature more user-friendly by building this feature into Action! user inteface. So you will have a list of exe names that you can easily add and delete. This will be much more convenient.

As for the Time Shift feature, we are aware of this issue and we are going to change the way Time Shift is created, so it will be an instant process of storing it on a hard disk. We cannot create this Time Shift in RAM because of a large amount of memory it would take in 4K resolution. But be sure that we will make it better in the next releases. Also, there will be a cool feature of recording sounds from specific exe files that you will be able to select from a list in the upcoming Action! updates. As for the streaming, we are going to split Action! into two advanced products, one only for recording and the other called Overband Broadcaster only for streaming. We are aware and learned by our experience that it is almost impossible to create state-of-the-art recording and broadcasting software in one product. And we hope that this will be a good solution. So, what we want to do is to add to Action! a more advanced audio recording features and improve some of the features that are already included.
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

SnapperAF1990
PC Specification: R7 5800X, RTX 3080, Windows 10 21H1

Re: Feature Suggestions and A Few Problems

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:37 am

Wow!!! Thanks for the awesome response. Looking forward to the updates.

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”