brazilianjoe
PC Specification: Ryzen 3600, Geforce 1660 Super, W10Pro

Feature request: screenshot after X seconds

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:03 pm

Hi,

Overall I am super-satisfied with tyour app!

There is one little thing I could not do though: Take a screenshot after X seconds.
For a comparison with Snip & Sketch, that come with windows: besides teh plain screenshot option, it has 2 options: screenshot after 3 seconds, screenshot after 10 seconds.

These options exist when you need a bit of time to switch to another app or open a contextual menu to take a screenshot.

The thing is: Snip & Sketch does not get along well with HDR, but you do. So providing this feature parity to be able everything Snip & Sketch does, plus all your streaming goodness, would be helpful.

Thanks for the great app!

Piotr
PC Specification: i7-6700, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070

Re: Feature request: screenshot after X seconds

Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:07 am

Hello. I do not see why would you need such a feature. You can switch to the app you want to take a screenshot of, and do all preparations you need and then take a screenshot using one hotkey.
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

brazilianjoe

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:38 pm

Hi,

I have a use case, please allow me to explain:

While it is true that you have a convenient shortcut to take full-screen screenshots, there is no handy shortcut to capture a portion of the screen.
capturing the entire screen is only useful for e.g. game screenshots, but not so much for other uses such as e.g. capturing portions of a desktop app's UI.

While it is possible to break out of the app and busting an image editor would allow to crop the image, it is inefficient and inconvenient, especially when it comes to conversations that demand speed, like e.g. customer support. The app is especially useful in that there are very few apps that do not act weirdly with Windows HDR as of yet.

If there is still resistance against "delayed screenshot", I would propose adding a shortcut for "screen region screenshot" . That would help matters as well, and is an existing feature without a shortcut. Maybe set the default to shift + F12, or Ctrl + F12, or Alt + F12, as F12 is the default "full screen screenshot" shortcut.

Piotr
PC Specification: i7-6700, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:38 am

You can use area mode to take a screenshot of part of the screen. Using snap feature you can easily select application's window.
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

brazilianjoe

"

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:59 am

Yes, I have explored the "area mode" screenshot, but does not have a shortcut for itself. You have to the focus away from the app, which makes contextual menus disappear.
You must take the focus away twice: once when starting "screen area" screenshot, and another to take the shot.

A shortcut to this mode would help a lot.
Another helpful thing could be a "freeze frame" mode, which it currently does not do. (toggleable on/off with a checkbox)
a "freeze frame screen area" would just show the entire screen frozen at the time the "screen area" was clicked, and present the user the option to select a portion of that frame to save as the screenshot.
(That is how Snip & Sketch works) .

This would also save precious steps in making it possible for the user to capture parts of the screen more easily, with less clicks, and not needing to bust out a separate app.

These things may not seem like a big deal if you seldom take screenshots, but if you are doing it a lot as a matter of a support role, removing one app switching from the workflow is huge, andreducing from 10 steps to 7 or 3 is also a pretty good improvement.

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”