wellallnasib
PC Specification: Ryzen 3600x|RTX 3060 Ti|32GB Ram|W10|

Cant capture NVIDIA CP FXAA and MSAA

Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:24 am

Hello,

As the title says Action can not capture FXAA forced by NVIDIA Control Panel also when MSAA is forced then the video becomes distorted and a part of the source is captured (attachment to explain this). This is tested in multiple game both is "Game Capture Mode" and "Screen Capture Mode". However, window mode was able to capture them without any problem but window mode is a bit glitchy and also causes stuttering in the recorded videos for some reason.

Also in Game and Screen capture mode has no problem capturing post processing effects like BLOOM, FXAA , SMAA when it is an in-game option. So outside post processing like NVIDIA Control Panel seems to be the problem.

After days trying everything I have found a workaround which is very crude but gets the job done :
Selecting window capture mode in Action then go into game after that alt+tab and select screen capture and like magic Action now captures FXAA injected by NVIDIA CP. Another thing I noticed in this process that when you just go in a game and use screen capture or game capture it created videos with that games name. But if you follow my process then the video names are created like this "Desktop xyz etc".
I have also tried to start the recording at desktop and then opened the game which resulted same as game capture with action not able to pick up FXAA.

My theory :
Screen capture can ideally capture those post processing but when action detects a game it suddenly switches from screen capture to game capture by default hence you can see the game name in videos even recording in screen capture mode.

Possible fixes:
> Either fix game capture picks up post processing or other stuff from NVIDIA control panel.
> OR give a settings option in action where screen capture solely remains serene capture. [which can be selected or unselected like other options]

Why not just use your method ?
Well many games does not like alt + tabbing for example CS:GO causes brightness change if alt + tabbed.

My Spec
B450 Gaming X Motherboard
Ryzen 3600x
Nvidia 3060ti
16GB DDR4 Ram
Recording in SSD
Windows 10 (19045)
Recording Resolution : 1440p ( But I have tested in 1920p and 2160p)
Attachments
MSAA.jpg
Forcing MSAA Causes this
MSAA.jpg (104 KiB) Viewed 109708 times

wellallnasib
PC Specification: Ryzen 3600x|RTX 3060 Ti|32GB Ram|W10|

Re: Cant capture NVIDIA CP FXAA and MSAA

Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:11 am

Hello everyone, for last moth I have done many testing and found very good solution for this problem.

Solution : Just add the game.exe to your Action! exclusion list and then record the game with screen capture. What this will do is disable the auto hooking process thus screen capture will remain screen capture and will not become game capture mode automatically.

What will it do : It will not only allow you to capture 3rd party post processing or tools like steam overlay or Nvidia benchmark counter etc. But also with this method you will be able to capture many game that have hooking issues or crashes with action.

Performance : I also see good performance boost in this way, some game that did not allow me to in record 4K previously now records 4K without a hitch.

This should be a feature : I really think they should add a option checkmark in the menu where you could decide if screen capture automatically hooks or not so people don't have to go trough all the trouble.

Conclusion : Enjoying recording with Action! , I had so much trouble with OBS for last 3 years and finally I can record 4K without random stuttering every few minutes.

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”