ts1971
PC Specification: Windows 7

Help with some basic AVI editing?

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi,

Apologies in advance for what is probably a pretty basic question, but I'm stuck and I need some help. Though I know nothing about video technology / formats / encoding etc, I do know something about computers and based on that a friend has asked me to do some simple, one time editing on some avis files he generated. The situation is this: he provided me with twentyish avi files, each about 2GB in length and running just under 20 minutes. I need to accomplish the follwing two things:
(1) Rotate the image 270 degrees.

(2) Delete various sections from within the files. (the files are different and the sections to be deleted are different, so I'm not looking to automate this process) The use case here is the same as, say, editing commercials out of a television program would be. The footage is actually nature footage shot with a mounted camera and the sections to be removed in practice might be pretty long, on the order of half of the running time of hte video.

This is a one-off kind of thing so neither of us is willing to spend any money on commercial software. Also, we would like the final result to be avi and encoded identically to the input files. I expected this to be easy but having spent the better part of a day on it and having played prety extensivly with both avidemux and virtualDub, I haven't really made any headway.

First I tried avidemux and I was able to edit out the dead sections. However I was surprised to find that after deleting say 10 minutes from a 20 minute video that the size of the file had actually grown very slightly. I can live with this I guess, though it's strange and makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong. The road block I hit with Avidemux was the rotation part. It does have a rotation filter, but for some reason won't let you apply it unless you are also changing the output format / encoding. Just for fun, I tried mpeg4 and it generated the file, but the result wasn't playable.

I didn't even get that far with virtual dub. After installing / running the software it looked like I was going to be able to apply the rotate filter without changing the output type, but 10 minutes after kicking off the process I realized that the output file had grown to over 200GB. Obviously I quit at that point.

Could some experts on the forum point me towards some free software that will accomplish what I'm trying to do? Or maybe explain to me how I'm using one of the two utilities I've already used wrong. I'm really stuck here!

Thanks in advance!

RGOKami
PC Specification: Windows 8.1

Re: Help with some basic AVI editing?

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:34 am

Return to “Video editing”