Zeckul
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:40 am
PC Specification: Windows 8 x64, i5 4670K, GTX 760 SLI

A few questions about Action!

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:47 am

Hello, I have a few questions about Action! that I didn't find answered in the FAQ:

- Is the FICV codec lossless?
- If so what the recording quality options (high-medium-low) do?
- If not, is it possible to record in lossless quality (not even chroma subsampling) with Action!
- How does the FICV codec compare with the FPS1 (Fraps) codec?
- Is it possible to record to disk directly in H.264 using GPU accelerated encoding (via NVCUVID/Quick Sync)?

Thank you!

User avatar
radi
Mirillis Team
Posts: 3508
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:31 pm
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Re: A few questions about Action!

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Zeckul wrote:Hello, I have a few questions about Action! that I didn't find answered in the FAQ:

- Is the FICV codec lossless?
- If so what the recording quality options (high-medium-low) do?
- If not, is it possible to record in lossless quality (not even chroma subsampling) with Action!
- How does the FICV codec compare with the FPS1 (Fraps) codec?
- Is it possible to record to disk directly in H.264 using GPU accelerated encoding (via NVCUVID/Quick Sync)?

Thank you!
- Almost
- Low, Medium and High
- Our files compared to Fraps take much less space with far better quality.
- Yes, Action! is the world's first software that allow it users to record directly into MP4 format in Real Time. With Intel Quick Sync technology Action! users can record up to Full HD (without IQS they are limited to 720p).
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

Zeckul
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:40 am
PC Specification: Windows 8 x64, i5 4670K, GTX 760 SLI

Re: A few questions about Action!

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:14 pm

radi wrote:- Our files compared to Fraps take much less space with far better quality.
- Yes, Action! is the world's first software that allow it users to record directly into MP4 format in Real Time. With Intel Quick Sync technology Action! users can record up to Full HD (without IQS they are limited to 720p).
Oh, thanks I didn't know you had to select MP4 to get H264 encoding. So basically in Action!'s terminology, .AVI implies FICV and .MP4 implies H.264.

That said, Fraps in "lossless RGB" mode is lossless, so I don't see how you could claim FICV has "far better quality", especially since you say it is a lossy codec. It certainly has smaller files but I had hoped that was only due to the codec doing lossless temporal prediction, as I saw it's not keyframe only like FPS1. Does it at least retain 4:4:4 chroma information or perform chroma subsampling?

User avatar
Ghost
Mirillis Team
Posts: 1057
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:32 pm
PC Specification: dozens...

Re: A few questions about Action!

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Zeckul wrote:Oh, thanks I didn't know you had to select MP4 to get H264 encoding. So basically in Action!'s terminology, .AVI implies FICV and .MP4 implies H.264.
Yes, choosing avi means recording with ficv and mp4 with H.264.
Zeckul wrote: That said, Fraps in "lossless RGB" mode is lossless, so I don't see how you could claim FICV has "far better quality", especially since you say it is a lossy codec. It certainly has smaller files but I had hoped that was only due to the codec doing lossless temporal prediction, as I saw it's not keyframe only like FPS1. Does it at least retain 4:4:4 chroma information or perform chroma subsampling?
FICV does not retain 4:4:4 chroma, and quality is not lossless like in FPS1. It is a bit lower quality than FPS1 and you can see the difference looking at chroma.
Mirillis Team Member

Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis
Mirillis News Feed:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/mirillisfeed

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests