o0whiplash0o
PC Specification: Windows 7 x64

Action! is nice, but not worth buying for me.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:47 pm

(I sent you guys an email, but I guess you're more active on the forums)

Hey, I've been running the demo for Action! for the last 2 days. Though I did like the demo, I don't think it's worth buying for the following reasons:

First off, the only reason (for me at least) your product is worth considering is that it uses Quick Sync to hardware-encode video. I must say, it works wonderfully! I've never been able to capture video at 1080p at 60fps in realtime like this before.

However, 1080p is not my monitor's native resolution. 1920x1200 is. Your program seems to have a hard-coded max height of 1080 pixels when using Quick Sync. My 1920x1200 footage shows up as 1728x1080 in the mp4 file that comes out. Not only that, but the export video option also only allows heights of up to 1080p, from what I can tell. Is there really no way to go beyond 1080p? Ivy bridge Core processors support up to 4k with quick sync!

Secondly, the mp4 files (AAC + AVC) outputted by this program, though they play just fine in Windows Media Player (using FFDshow + LibAV demuxer) and VLC, I cannot import the video stream into Sony Vegas. I get only audio.

Thirdly, there's no way to ignore certain programs, is there? I use Stardock Deskscapes on my desktop and I have a fps counter in the top right that I'd like to get rid of.

There seems to be no way to set the microphone hotkey to a mouse button. I have a Logitech G400 mouse, most other game capture programs let me assign the side buttons of my mouse to the microphone key.

In addition, the audio bitrate for Quick Sync video is far too low. Would you call 128kbps AAC audio "high definition"? I wouldn't. And the video bitrate is a little bit low, but I've heard that that is about as much as Quick Sync will allow.

And why doesn't the program support multiple mp4 audio tracks? Or multichannel audio for mp4s?

Also, is there a way to only record game audio, and not audio other applications make?

radi
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Re: Action! is nice, but not worth buying for me.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:39 am

o0whiplash0o wrote:However, 1080p is not my monitor's native resolution. 1920x1200 is. Your program seems to have a hard-coded max height of 1080 pixels when using Quick Sync. My 1920x1200 footage shows up as 1728x1080 in the mp4 file that comes out. Not only that, but the export video option also only allows heights of up to 1080p, from what I can tell. Is there really no way to go beyond 1080p? Ivy bridge Core processors support up to 4k with quick sync!
Record in Orignal Size then, don't force 1080p if it's not needed.
o0whiplash0o wrote:Secondly, the mp4 files (AAC + AVC) outputted by this program, though they play just fine in Windows Media Player (using FFDshow + LibAV demuxer) and VLC, I cannot import the video stream into Sony Vegas. I get only audio.
Try this:
1) Download (7MB) and install Yamb - http://www.videohelp.com/tools/YAMB
This is an easy-to-use program for fixing MP4 files so they can be accepted by AE 5 but it should also work for Sony Vegas
2) Start the program, click ADD and selected your exported MP4 Action! file.
3) Click "Mux" in right bottom corner.
4) New created MP4 files should work correctly now with your Sony Vegas.

The "muxing" process does not affect the video quality and usually takes few minutes.
o0whiplash0o wrote: Thirdly, there's no way to ignore certain programs, is there? I use Stardock Deskscapes on my desktop and I have a fps counter in the top right that I'd like to get rid of.
Use our exclude feature. Here's tutorial how to use it: http://mirillis.com/en/products/tutoria ... t.html#top
o0whiplash0o wrote:There seems to be no way to set the microphone hotkey to a mouse button. I have a Logitech G400 mouse, most other game capture programs let me assign the side buttons of my mouse to the microphone key.
We are working on this, but we met some technical difficulties with implementing this functionality. It will be done.
o0whiplash0o wrote:Also, is there a way to only record game audio, and not audio other applications make?
No, there's no way to exclude sounds from particular applications in audio track.
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

RuskiRozpierdalacz
PC Specification: q9550 gtx460 6gb W7HP 64bit

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:14 am

o0whiplash0o wrote: There seems to be no way to set the microphone hotkey to a mouse button. I have a Logitech G400 mouse, most other game capture programs let me assign the side buttons of my mouse to the microphone key.
Do a macro, logitech can do it well.

Screenshots:
1. http://i.imgur.com/5XOFo.jpg
2. http://i.imgur.com/4LTuF.jpg
Sorry for Polish, I can't change language of it.
Premiere Pro, Action! user. I still believe that I can help someone on this forum.

Watchman
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: Core i9-7940X, nVidia RTX2080 SLI, Win10

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:16 am

We are going to increase the 1080p limit for Ivy Bridge Core processors in the upcoming free Action! updates. This limit has been set to allow smooth 1080p at 60fps recording also on the older/first Sandy Bridge CPUs.

As for the Sony Vegas MP4 import we didn't encounter this problem in our labs. Could you please specify which version of Sony Vegas are you using?

We we'll also add Stardock Deskscapes to Action!'s internal exclude list.

We deeply appreciate your feedback o0whiplash0o and hope you'll reconsider using Action! in the future.

Watchman
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: Core i9-7940X, nVidia RTX2080 SLI, Win10

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:26 am

o0whiplash0o wrote: In addition, the audio bitrate for Quick Sync video is far too low. Would you call 128kbps AAC audio "high definition"? I wouldn't. And the video bitrate is a little bit low, but I've heard that that is about as much as Quick Sync will allow.
The AAC bitrate limit is set to allow all mobile devices that support AAC decoding to play the MP4 files that are created with Action!. We are going to add AAC encoding bitrate (160,192kbps) option in the next free Action! update.
o0whiplash0o wrote:And why doesn't the program support multiple mp4 audio tracks? Or multichannel audio for mp4s?
Multiple MP4 audio tracks recording support (system sounds + separate microphone track) will be available in the upcoming free Action! updates. Multichannel AAC is already supported (please enable the Allow multi-channel audio recording option).

o0whiplash0o

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Watchman wrote:As for the Sony Vegas MP4 import we didn't encounter this problem in our labs. Could you please specify which version of Sony Vegas are you using?
I have 10.0 and 12.0, both only import the audio even after remuxing with YAMB. Not quite sure what the issue is, could be my choice of demuxer. The LAV demuxer I use is a bit bleeding edge (http://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/), so that might be the issue. I can import the video and audio just fine in its original form in After Effects CS6.

vivan
Expert User
PC Specification: Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830TG

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:10 pm

o0whiplash0o wrote:I have 10.0 and 12.0, both only import the audio even after remuxing with YAMB. Not quite sure what the issue is, could be my choice of demuxer. The LAV demuxer I use
Are you sure that Vegas is using it?
I don't know about 12, but 10 uses built-in decoders/spliiters for avc/aac/mp4 (and avi of course).
Desktop (Intel i7-970, ATI 5870, Windows 7 x64)
Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830TG (Intel i5-2410M, nVidia GT540M, Windows 7 x64)
PS Vita, Nokia N8

o0whiplash0o

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:25 am

I got another issue: when I have Action! active and launch Minecraft, it simply closes with no message. I can see the OSD from Action! before it closes. When I quit Action!, Minecraft launches normally. I'm using the 64-bit JRE.

Cauptain
PC Specification: Core I5@4Ghz, 16GB, ATI R290, WIN7X64

Make Action! Recorded Files Full Compliant With Any Video Ed

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi plp,

Its a very easy way to get this.

Download AVIDEMUX (freeware, no codec pack is necessary): AVIDEMUX 2.6.0

Install, run and load your action! recorded file. after this, only set like screenshot above:

Save this (added extension automatic)...2,3 seconds its finished. Get your file full compliant for desired video editor. NO CONVERSION WILL MAKE.

Tested using: Vegas 10, 11, 12, Cyberlink PD 9, 10 and 11, AVS Editor 6.2, Adobe Premiere CS6, Corel Video Studio X5.

Claudio

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”